Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sesame Broccoli "Beef" with Fried Rice

A couple nights ago I decided to use some Yves' faux beef strips to make this classic Chinese-inspired dish. The "beef" pieces tasted pretty good! Not as chewy as real beef, but very similar. With a very flavorful sesame-ginger sauce, the dish made a great complement to some vegetable fried rice I made.
For the sauce, I made up my own recipe:
1/2 C veg broth
3 TB soy sauce
2 TB oil
1 TB cornstarch
1 TB rice vinegar
1 TB mustard powder
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp chili oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2" ginger, minced

Combine ingredients into a bowl, then pour over broccoli and faux meat in saute pan, frying over med heat until broccoli is tender. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. The mixture is very strongly flavored, so it goes a long way.

For fried rice, I cook the rice in our rice maker with 1/2 veg broth and 1/2 water. Then, I briefly saute the rice with some diced carrots, garlic, cabbage, green onions and some frozen peas. A few tablespoons of soy sauce finishes off the dish. If I want stronger flavoring, I add garlic and mustard powder, and some sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment